What you will need:
- Sewing machine
- Rotary cutter and mat (optional)
1. First, cut fabric to the following dimensions: 15 in. X 5 1/2 in.
2. Next, on the 5 1/2 inch side, make a double fold (each fold 1/4 in). Sew fold to create the top of the recorder case. Don't forget to backstitch in the beginning and the end.
3. Then fold the right sides together.
Sew the right sides together along the bottom and long edge. I used a 1/4 seam allowance. When going around corner, leave needle in down position, lift presser foot, and turn fabric. Lower presser foot and continue to sew. Again don't forget to backstitch in the beginning and end!
4. To get square corners, trim the bottom corners of the recorder case. Make sure you do not cut the stitches.
5. Finally, turn inside out! You are finished! Told you it was simple :) But oh, so fun!
Per the boys request, I made camo and John Deere cases this weekend!
In my classroom, I use the Recorder Karate series. When students get their black belts, they also get to pick a recorder case! More to come on how I use Recorder Karate in my classroom....
As for now, good luck on your sewing adventures. Even if you are new to sewing, these cases are extremely easy, simple, and only take about 10 mins.